Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Kinda Lazy

I've gotten really slack in the creative writing department here at my blog. My two readers are probably quite disappointed (I'm one of the readers by the way). Anyway, lately I've gotten distracted by selling junk on eBay. Last week I listed my "vintage" Vac-Man toy. I listed it at $4.99 and it closed at $64.01. Pretty darn good. The only problem is that the person that won said they made a mistake when they keyed one of their bids. This person claims he typed a comma instead of a decimal when bidding. I find all this out twenty minutes before the bidding ended.

The buyer, who is in Canada, said he meant to type $55. I noted that the next runner up had a rating of 92% while the winner has a solid 100% rating so I agreed to the $55. Today the buyer tells me that he misunderstood something about the shipping amount and that he cannot buy this item.

My knee jerk reaction was to leave this person negative feedback and relist the item. However, I'm willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt and mutually withdraw our transaction. Unfortunately, I have to wait for this person to respond to the withdrawal. Oh well, at least he wasn't acting like a jerk about it despite how I may or may have not depicted him in this post.

In semi-related news, the price for the Xbox 360 was announced today. Here's the official press release. Or, more accurately, the prices were announced. That's right: Microsoft is releasing two different versions of their new console. The first one, or Xbox 360 Core System as it is officially called, will be priced at $299. This system will include the console, one wired controller, video cables, and an ethernet cord. The other one, or Xbox 360, will be priced at $399. It includes the console, one wireless controller, Xbox Live Headset, 20GB detachable HD, video cables, and a multimedia remote control.

Ouch!

I, along with many people (read: geeks) in the gaming community were a bit shocked at this price point. Not too long ago, it was implied that the Xbox 360 would be about $300 and that the wireless controller and hard drive would be standard. I think what most people are upset about is not so much the price (which is a bit steep) but more the fact that developers now have to create games that act like the hard drive is not there. Many gamers are afraid that quality will suffer.

Whatever. While following all of that crap keeps me entertained, the real meat of the issue is this: Will I be able to sell enough crap on eBay before the Xbox 360 ships (sometime in November) in order to buy one? I hope so. Sadly, my wheels are constantly spinning whenever I see something in my house that we're not using anymore. I'm always thinking, "I wonder how much I could get for this on eBay?" And it's not just because I want to blow a few hundred dollars on a video game system. Oh no. It was actually quite recently that it dawned upon me that I could used eBay to fund my next-gen console dream.

Well, I'll stop for now. I've gotten a bit wordy and I didn't even write anything creative. Except for this riddle: I see four suns and two moons obscured slightly by clouds. Ever-changing, ever present, ever constant. What am I looking at?

I'll have the answer to that spur of the moment pathetic riddle posted soon if I remember that I've even posted it. Until next time... Well, BYE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why spend $400 on something when, within probably a year it will be about $300 or something cheaper? That's almost always the case. Everything is relative, and it will decrease in price. If not, maybe you can win it online from somewhere or something like that. If you think about it, you could almost by a slightly beat up car for that price. CRAZINESS! (yes, the "you don't NEED to buy that" is coming out...I'm sorry...LOL That is who I am. The person who always tries to put a damper on so many things. Instead of buying that, why not put the money you'd use that for towards one of your bills? Or, better yet, pay some towards your kids' future college funds? HAHA Maybe just pray about it. Like, seriously. Everything we do, we should pray about. Anyway, this has gone on long enough, and you'd think I wouldn't really have anything to say about this since I am so much younger than you, but whatever...have a great day Mike! I know gaming is basically one of the things you've always done - it just wouldn't be you, if you didn't play games. Anyway, Love you Mike! and I am praying for you and Joy and Molly and Caleb!)

(Oh, and Mom reads this too...so, that's 3, and I bet Dad reads it too...so 4...sometimes I send the link to a couple of my friends! lol)