Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Something That Annoys Me, Pt. I

Why do I see so many tricked out cars with those shiny rims that keep spinning even when the car is sitting still? They're even showing up on non-tricked out cars like some sort of 21st century bumper sticker. I've always disliked things that beg for attention. It's as if the driver is yelling, "Hey, look at me! Look at my tires! See? The rims are still spinning, but I'm sitting still! I should be in a rap video! Look at me! LOOK AT MEEEEE!!"

I may be exaggerating a bit, but here's the part I hate the most: I find the spinning rims hypnotic. When I'm sitting at a stop light and see a set of those, I just stare. I keep staring. Then I start to wonder as they very slowly wind down, will they stop spinning completely before the light turns green? It becomes a contest of wills between two lifeless objects: a spinning alloy rim attachment and a stop light. And I want the rims to win. I start to think, "Come on... They're getting slower. Okay, the other side is still going - Gasp! The light's turning yellow! Come on, come on! Stop already! Noooo!" Stop light: One. Spinning rims: Zero. Sad isn't it?

It gets even more frightening when I'm driving down the interstate and I see a car doing 70mph and I simply can't get over the fact that the rims are spinning so slow. I mean, it looks like the car is gliding! It's majestic.

I've changed my mind. I now know that spinning rims are the epitome of beauty. Thanks hip-hop gangster wanna-be's! I've seen the light!

P.S. My apologies for overuse of exclamation points in this post. I found it necessary but, in retrospect, I find it annoying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike, that cracks me up! The overuse of the exclamation point. Did you have a Seinfeld moment? I know I did when you said you used too many exclamation points! HAHA Yeah, 2 scoops of raisins to wal-mart for supplying the cheap spinning rims for those who want to look "rich." HAHA