Monday, June 06, 2005

Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad

On June 6, 1970, my parents were married. Over the past thirty five years they haven't traveled the world, they haven't backpacked across europe, they haven't lived in a huge house, they haven't owned fancy sports cars, they haven't been members of an exclusive country club. Over the past thirty five years they've needed one thing: each other. Throughout my entire childhood, I remember my parents doing their best to spend as much time as possible together (and with us kids). I remember my parents regularly having a sitter over to watch my brother, sister, and me while they went out for dinner and a movie.

I've learned so much from my parents. More than I think they will ever come to understand. I've learned that, in marriage, you don't have to constantly surround yourself with "busy" activities like hanging out all night with friends while your wife is home alone with the kids. I've learned that it is never appropriate to put your spouse down (even in jest) in front of other people. I've learned all of this by example.

My wife and I have been married for nine years now and each day is a learning experience; each day is an adventure. Of all the lessons I learn in my own marriage, the best lesson was learned early on in my life: Saying "I do" means something. It means sticking by the one you love no matter how rough the road gets, no matter how dark the storm clouds in life become. Two have become one.

Happy 35th Anniversary, Mom and Dad! Your love inspires me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mike, what you said was so very special....we love you. Mom
Hey Mike its me, the other half.
Appreciate is such a safe word. But it does reflect how I feel for your kindness. You have a way of expressing yourself in such naturally poetic form. I count myself fortunate to have had such an answer to prayer as you were and still are. You bless us all the time and I do thank you for that son. Your Mom and I may not have travelled the world yet, but on this special occasion of our 35th year together we have the distinct privilege of travelling to galaxies far, far away if only for 2 hours and 20 minutes(lol). God bless you son. And remember, the only true force in this universe resides in the one who is the way, the truth and the life. We Love you, Mom and Dad.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that was a really good post. You don't have to get them anything now - you gave them enough by letting them know how you feel in a song..no, I mean, on the internet. lol

Oh, and thanks for the Halo 2 game. I probably won't get a chance to play it until next week sometime - maybe. Thanks again! And if you really want it, I will give it back to you. LOL Oh, and is it okay if I come by tonight after work? I need to print out a few things, and my printer is being borrowed at the moment - I don't have it here, and mom and dad's printer is just crap. LOL