Sunday, June 19, 2005

My Dad

Sometimes, my dad thinks he was a bad father. He thinks that since he didn't take his kids fishing enough, or hunting, or to ball games, that he must be a bad father. He thinks that he just did not spend enough time with us. With that being said, he might find it strange that all of my childhood memories revolve around being together as a family.

I don't mean "being together" in that we lived together so we really had no choice (although, at times, I'm sure that was the case). I mean all those weekends we spent together as a family; all of those road trips we took together as a family. I still remember waiting with my brother for my dad to get off the bus from work. When we saw him, we would run up to him and he would greet us with a wide smile and a loving hug. I want my kids to look at me like that someday. I want my kids to look up to me the way I looked up to my father then. The way I still do now.

As a kid, there was never a jar lid too tight, a box too heavy, or a shelf too high for my dad. To me, my dad was Superman. And as far as I'm concerned, he still is.

Happy Father's Day, Dad. I love you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I don't know where he gets the idea that he was a bad father. I think he was an awesome father. I mean, who did he call when the roofer putting the roof on our house left after dad paid him the rest of the money because of some sob story the guy gave him? Nobody. He finished with the help of David Blankenship from across the street and us kids. And guess what? The roof is still up there almost 20 years later. I was getting ready to start kindergarten that summer. I probably know more about the shipyard than most kids know about their dads' jobs because dad involved us in his job. I mean, he was always going to my games, and he's always saying how much he wishes I played because he loved watching me play.

Anonymous said...

I think I've got some kind of virus on my computer Mike. I think I need help trying to get rid of it. BLEH!

Seriously, I need to figure it out.

Anonymous said...

I'm working 12 or 1 to close today, so I may not be home when you call me. I think I need to do something with my norton anti-virus.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

sorry if I sounded annoyed on the phone tonight. I was just irritated with my computer and with my legs. They're killing me tonight, and so is my back. lol So, sorry about that.

Anonymous said...

you gotta post a new post! i'm starting to look like a stalker or something!