Tuesday, June 14, 2005

My Gripe with Cereal

Despite the title of this post, I love cereal. Anyone that knows me could tell you that. I've been to breakfast buffets before and made more trips for the cold cereal than anything else on the buffet. But anyway, here is my gripe: the bags.

Why can't the cereal manufacturers get this right? After opening the cardboard top, I am faced with a plastic bag containing the actual cereal. But I can't just grab the bag with both hands, pull, and expect it to open. That would be too simple. I am forced to examine the glue seal, diligently searching for its weak spot. Once I think I've found the right spot, I steadily tug at either side of the bag. Then, I move my hands just a little further over in an effort to start the opening over a wide area at the top of the bag. Just when I'm confident that the bag will open cleanly and smoothly, I apply a little more pressure and, RIPCRUNCH!! The bags opens but is ripped down its side, instantly causing the cereal to go stale. It is now impossible to close this bag properly.

My plea to Kelloggs, Post, General Mills, etc. is this: Please make a better bag! I'm not asking for a "zip-lock" bag; that's not cost efficient. I'm just asking for a bag that will withstand the violent opening procedure. Please hear my cry! I cannot, nay, will not, switch to another breakfast food. I am at your breakfast mercy. Serve up a bowl of sympathy for me.

No comments: