Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Renting Movies

Over the past few years I have found that when we rent a movie and we don't watch it on the first night, we will not watch it at all. Sure, we have the DVD for 5 days but, somehow, that just isn't enough. The movies we rent for my daughter, however, are different somehow.

My five year old daughter is able to watch a rented DVD not once, not twice, but a staggering eighty-three times in five short days. I admit that figure sounds a bit high (and it probably is) but that's really what it seems like. I've heard the story of how Strawberry Shortcake met Cocoa Calypso so many times now that I really have to struggle to remember what my wife and I even rented. On the plus side, that Cocoa Calypso does sing a catchy song. The chorus is: "With all that I've got/ With all that I've found/ Why would I need anybody around." Sounds a bit dark but the upbeat musical score juxtaposes the mood nicely.

I could probably list several titles that I've rented that have never seen the inside of my Xbox but this week's casualty is the romantic comedy "Hitch" starring Will Smith and Kevin James. There it sits upon my shelf, staring blankly at the ceiling. If it could, I know that the "Hitch" case would be thinking: "Why did they rent me? They haven't even cracked me open to see the graphic on the disc. I mean, they could have at least returned me after the first day for a dollar credit. But, no... And listen to that Strawberry Shortcake. She gets all the love. How I hate that little tart."

Sheesh. That "Hitch" movie is mean. Oh well, with all that I've learned, with all that I've found, why do I rent movies and leave them lying around?

Fin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's great.

hahaha