Saturday, October 03, 2009

iPod Battery

I've noticed lately that my iPod's battery is discharging faster than it used to.  I guess I should expect this since I've had it for a little over three years now.  Anyway, I started looking up iPod replacement batteries online then I realized somthing: Apple will replace an iPod's battery even if it's out of its warranty period for about $60.  Not too bad considering buying a similar MP3 player (30GB, photo/video capable) would probably cost more than the replacement fee.
     In order to check the battery, I'm following the battery check guidelines on Apple's support website.  These guidelines call for you to select an album with average length songs (3-8 minutes long) and put the iPod on continuous repeat.  Also, you have to turn off the backlight and the equalizer. 
     I did all that this morning so at 7:08am, my iPod started playing Toby Mac's Portable sounds album.  It's now 9:45am and the battery icon is still showing slightly more than half of its capacity.  I'm not sure if this is indicative of how much longer it will last.  I guess only time will tell. 
     According to the Apple site, my iPod should play continuously for 14 hours straight.  I highly doubt it will last that long.  I'm pretty sure the battery has to die before 7 hours of play time.  If it does this, I can send my iPod in for a replacement.  I say "replacement" because they will send another iPod with a new battery.  It will probably be a refurbished one but, what do I care?  As long as it works, it makes no difference to me whatsoever. 
     After setting up the iPod battery test, I sat down on the couch with some coffee and my headphones so I could play a little bit of Fallout 3.  It had been a couple of weeks since I played so it took me a minute to figure out what I was supposed to be doing (other than shoot everything that moves). 
     About forty five minutes later, Joy and Molly got up so I quit playing Fallout.  Before I cut the Xbox 360 off, I decided to check out the Brutal Legend demo.  It was pretty cool, I guess.  Not something I will ever own though.  A little too much on the "evil heavy metal is cool" side.  I know it's all tongue in cheek but still, I will not be purchasing it.
     It's about time for us to head off to the annual Kiln Creek yard sales this morning.  Hopefully, we'll find some cool stuff.  If not, maybe we'll at least find some stuff to sell on eBay.

No comments: