Saturday, September 03, 2005

Are We Bad Parents? Don't Answer Yet...

Today was such a beautiful day, we decided to take the top down on the Jeep. Around nine o'clock, we went to Sonic and ate outside at their little picnic-style area (since it was so beautiful but I think I already mentioned that part). While we were sitting there waiting for our food to come, our son was shifting around on the rubber coated metal picnic benches when I heard him yell, "I'm beeding!" which, being translated means, roughly, "I'm bleeding". Anyway, I realized that it was just from where he had scraped a scab off so it was bleeding a little. I cleaned it up and thought nothing more of it. A few minutes later, I saw that he had some dried blood on his shin. There were other people eating nearby and I didn't want to gross them out if they saw my son's bloody shin. We had some baby wipes in the Jeep which would have cleaned it up nicely but we were parked over twenty yards away and I was feeling kind of lazy.

After we had eaten, our slightly bloody-legged son was watching a moth that was thrashing around on the pavement. Naturally, after watching it for a few moments, he stomped on it. When he saw that the moth's body was now stuck to the underside of his show, he started violently scraping his shoe on the ground. That didn't work, so he started screaming and looking down in the general direction of his shoe. I'm pretty sure the people at the next table saw our child screaming and looking down in the area of his bloodied leg and assumed he had a boo-boo. Sadly, his parents were laughing at the whole ordeal. In our defense, we were laughing at the fact that he was freaking out over a moth stuck on his shoe, not a cut on his leg.

Anyway, we got into our Jeep and got on the road to head home. Since the top was still down, our kids were freezing all the way home because it had gotten a little chilly. I thought about turning the heat on but that would have been just selfish since none of that heat would have reached our kids in the back.

So, to sum it all up, I really don't think my wife and I are bad parents. It's not like we drove around in thirty degree weather with the top down. We would only do that if the kids were acting up a lot and we had to prove that we weren't joking with them when we said we'd make both of them ride around in the back of the Jeep with the top down in thirty degree weather. Again, that's only if we had to absolutely prove something.

You do know I'm joking right? Right?! Answer me or so help me, I'll strap you in the back of that Jeep and drive around with the top down in thirty degree weather! Don't give me that look! Do you think I'm joking? Do you?! You do, don't you? Let's go! Take your coat OFF and get in that seat! Who's joking now, huh? HUH?!!

Have a great night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No, just lazy, sometimes.

Aren't all parents, though?

LOL