Sunday, September 04, 2005

Fruity/Cocoa Pebbles vs. The Flintstones


After just seeing a commercial for Post Fruity Pebbles something hit me. My children, ages 2 and 5, are not familiar with the Flintstones cartoon show. They may have seen it once or twice a while back, but I'm positive that if they did see it they would immediately say something like, "Hey! That's Fred and Barney from the Fruity pebbles cereal!"

Now, this isn't something that actually bothers me but it just got me thinking that this is all due to the fact that Turner communications owns the rights (for lack of a better term) to the Flintstones. It now only shows on the Boomerang channel which is kind of a spin off of the cartoon network. I love the Boomerang network but when I was a kid, I could watch all sorts of cartoons, whether it was a weekday afternoon or Saturday morning, on over the air broadcast channels. How many kids look forward to getting up on Saturday mornings now just to watch cartoons? Now if you try to see a cartoon on a broadcast channel, it's invariably Pokemon or Digimon or some other show featuring a spikey-haired kid talking loudly. It's an insignificant change but hey, I'm being nostalgic here.

When my wife and I first got married, we lived in this apartment complex that didn't get cable from the local cable TV provider. No, they had (and still have) their own 10' satellite dish that actually received less than even the most basic cable. Oh, you could add HBO (and I hate HBO) but that was about it. You can even go to Yahoo!'s TV listings and see Westwood apartments has their own "service provider section. Check it out here.

Anyway, each morning when we were getting ready for work, we'd turn it on the TNT network and watch Scooby-Doo. This was all circa 1996. About a year or so later, no more Scooby-Doo. Scooby-Doo had gone to being shown exclusively on the Cartoon Network which we did not receive. In a sad twist of fate, we resorted to watching Chips on TNT each morning. John and Ponch served their purpose, I guess. Strangely, I don't think Chips is exclusive anywhere. And I don't even know what channel TNT is on Directv. That's how useless that network has become for me.

The bottom line is this: I love cereal but I don't like the TNT network. Stupid Ted Turner. Until next time, here's a shot of the Scooby-Doo substitues:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it didn't hit me until now that I haven't seen the Flintstones in FOREVER! AND, I haven't seen CHiPs in FOREVER either!

Did you ever see that one or two episodes of CHiPs where Ponch was actually ENGAGED to a woman and in love?!? Well, you know you happened to her? Yeah, that's right. Her stupid dog ran out in the street, and she ran out to get it cause there was a car coming, and BAM! She got hit by the car and DIED! Can you believe that!? That's crazy! It figures that Ponch would finally find a woman he actually loved, and they kill her off in the show! LOL Oh, sweet, sweet irony. (I guess that's irony...)

Don't forget about the CHiPs reunion show...I remember watching that at some point, too. LOL