Saturday, September 24, 2005

So....

Not much going on here. I'm working this weekend and I've recently decided get back into Morrowind and try to beat it before it's sequel, Oblivion, comes out in November. I already know that I'm deluding myself. There's absolutely no way that I'll finish Morrowind in less than two months.

In case you're not aware of this, the Elder Scrolls series is famous for providing the most open-ended gameplay imaginable. You can practically do whatever you want in the world of Morrowind. You can completely ignore the main quest and still spend hundreds of hours in the game. I'd forgotten how much fun this game can be.

You might be wondering why I'm so sure I won't finish this game before Oblivion's release. Here's why: I purchased Morrowind for the Xbox when it came out in June of 2002 and I never finished it. Here it is three years later and I still want to try to finish it.

Is this perserverance? Willpower? No. There's probably one word that most people would use to describe all of this: Stupidity.

I've never denied that playing videogames is a waste of time. It ranks right up there with going to the movies, watching television, and following professional sports. All are a waste of time. But all provide a form of release or, I daresay, escapism. GASP! There I said it. I enjoy escapism from time to time. What's so bad about that? Just like the old "Cheers" theme song said:"Wouldn't you like to get away? / Sometimes you wanna go / Where everybody knows your name./ And they're always glad you came / You wanna waste sometime with us / You've got nothing better to do / Your life is so pathetic and so are you." It goes something like that except that I obviously tried to be funny.

One last thing before I close this obnoxiously boring post: In spite of all the time I spend writing about videogames this or Xbox that, I really don't spend all that much time playing games. It's just a "hobby" thanks to my "real" life. Stay tuned for more boring updates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you know, that game always made me feel kind of guilty if i tried to beat someone up that was an "innocent" bystander...i never could be extremely evil in that game. and yet, i am in gta 3. weird. maybe it's because morrowind is like old times and i like the idea of old times. and, also, you can talk to the people in morrowind...the people in gta 3 just pass you by, and say smart comments as they do it. those losers... no wonder i use the sniper rifle so much...ha!